Betel Leaves with Fraser Isle Spanner Crab, Roasted Macadamias, Finger Lime, Coconut Yoghurt and Tumeric Caramel
Matt Golinski shows us how to zest up local spanner crab with finger lime, roasted macadamias and tumeric.
- 24 betel leaves, washed and dried
- 300gm cooked Fraser Isle spanner crab
- 50gm Lindols macadamia chips, lightly roasted
- 2tbs finger lime pearls
- 100gm coconut yoghurt
- 50gm palm sugar
- 15ml lime juice
- 15ml fish sauce
- 1tbs grated fresh turmeric
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Drain the spanner crab in a sieve to remove any excess liquid.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the palm sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and turmeric for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Cool.
- Lay the betel leaves shiny side up on a platter and place a teaspoon of crabmeat in the centre of each.
- Drizzle with a small amount of tumeric caramel.
- Spoon a half teaspoon of coconut yoghurt on each and sprinkle on the macadamias and finger lime.
- Garnish with a slice of chilli and sprigs of coriander.
Wine to Serve:
2015 Saint Clair Marlborough Premium Gruner Veltliner, Marlborough, NZ $23-$28
2015 Rudi Rabl Spiegel Gruner Veltliner Kamptal, Austria $33-$38
2017 Lark Hill Gruner Veltliner, Canberra District $50-$55