Up, Up and Away with Bonza!
It’s not often that you get a chance to reinvent a century-old industry. Deb Caruso discovers what’s so bonza about Australia’s newest airline.
Throwing out the rule book and bringing Australia’s aviation industry into the 21st Century is no mean feat but Australia’s newest and only independent low-cost airline is ‘bonza’ by name and by nature.
With a larrikin spirit and a team referred to as Bonza Legends, the first airline to launch in Australia in 15 years is a game changer on a number of levels.
Before the first flights ever left the ground, Bonza shook things up by redesigning and challenging not only airline uniforms but food and beverage service; and the Fly Bonza app is where customers will book, manage their bookings, check-in and place in-flight food and drinks orders onboard. Customers named the first three planes to be based out of the Sunshine Coast – Sheila, Shazza and Bazza.
Uniforms were designed to reflect the tropical destinations including ‘wear it your way’, mix and match tailored shorts or pants, white cotton t-shirt and a blazer which features purple trim and the Bonza values stitched on the lining.
There’s also a shirt dress and sleeveless coat as well as custom sneakers and accessories such as a Bonza thumbs up pin, branded socks and a purple scarf that can be worn as a hair, neck or pocket accessory.
Pilots uniforms feature a crisp white button-up shirt, tailored pants and charcoal blazer with silver stripes and touches of Bonza’s signature purple. In a break of tradition, there’s no pilot hat.
Bonza’s Chief Commercial Officer Carly Povey said everyone agreed it was better to pass that saving onto customers.
Bonza is also the first airline to offer an entire menu sourced from its home country and the Sunshine Coast region features strongly. With no trolleys onboard, travellers will have items delivered directly to their seat after ordering on the app.
The market responded with more than 10,000 seats sold in the first three days of flights going on sale with prices starting at $49.
Carly said they were committed to low-cost fares which would stimulate new markets for Australia’s domestic tourism industry.
“It’s important that Aussie travellers know we’re on sale, not having a sale,” Carly said.
And that’s pretty Bonza to us.
Bonza’s initial route map includes 27 routes to 17 destinations. Download the Fly Bonza App to find out more and to book.
WHAT’S SO BONZA?
Australia’s newest and only independent low-cost airline, Bonza will enable Australians to explore more of their own backyard at low-cost prices. They aim to connect communities, make air travel accessible and stimulate new tourism markets with a focus on regional Australia.
So what’s so bonza about Bonza?
- The Fly Bonza App provides fast and full booking management and on-board services, reducing paper and providing direct and accessible communication
- 93% of routes are not currently serviced by any airline and 96% are not currently serviced by a low-cost carrier (26/27 routes)
- Brand-new Boeing 737-MAX 8 planes – the most technologically advanced and fuel-efficient aircraft in Australia and 40% quieter than the Next-Generation 737
- Australian-designed ‘wear it your way’ nonbinary uniform range, featuring on-trend white custom sneakers and cotton T-shirts
- 100% locally-sourced menu with snacks starting from $2 and including non-alcoholic beer, cold drip coffee and a snag in a bag
- Reuseable Turn Cups and thoughtful packaging as part of a plastic-free and paperless pledge
- Its home base, Sunshine Coast Airport, is the only carbon neutral airport in Australia
- The Bonza Backyard head office was furnished with upcycled items using a social enterprise that helps to employ people living with disabilities
READ MORE ABOUT BONZA!