Go Tropical! Expert Advice To Create Your Haven
Landscape Designer David Wood tells us how to go tropical.
The expert design team at Earth Creation Landscapes are often inspired by the warm blue water, beaches, relaxation and lush tropical vegetation that are so much a part of our life on the Sunshine Coast.
Living and holidaying in such a beautiful tropical retreat, it becomes easy to accept how naturally most of the plants work together.
For Earth Creation Landscapes Designer David Wood, a rich mix of textures, vivid pops of colour and layers of green combine to form a peaceful mood.
“Plants with names such as Foxtail Palm; Bird of Paradise; Hibiscus and Frangipani all conjure visions and smells of a garden paradise,” David said.
“Creating a tropical garden style that blends naturally with your garden space demands experience, passion and a knowledge of how to grow plants and what plants to select.”
As specialist tropical and sub-tropical garden designers and construction experts, the Earth Creation Landscapes team thrives on building sensational gardens.
These are the elements they believe make a garden great:
- Understand what a tropical garden is to you – different people have different ideas – some hate palms and busy gardens; some love the ‘jungle style’.
- Define your environment and soil type i.e sand clay; shade or full sun; windy or sheltered; dry or boggy.
- Be honest about how much maintenance time you have to spend on your garden.
- Improve your soil – tropical plants love highly organic soil.
- Combine well-built structures such as decking; natural paving, day beds, bold artworks and water features to complement the lush planting design.
- Select plants that will work in your environment and satisfy your dreams of a tropical oasis.
- Just add water – if it was only that simple. Most tropical gardens love humidity and moisture. Watering your plants in dry times really does make a difference. At Earth Creation Landscapes, irrigation systems are designed by horticulturalists, not plumbers.
- Employ a great team to install and maintain your plants.
“We are blessed in South East Queensland with an abundance of rain and sunshine,” David said.
“Make the most of it and find the right team to transform your space into a tropical paradise!”