Recipe: Rose & Buttermilk Chicken With Figs, Walnuts, Goats Cheese and Rocket
Marinated in buttermilk and then delicately fried with spices and rose petals – is there a better way to cook chicken? Matt Golinski shares this delicious dish that will wow your guests this holiday season.
- 600gm chicken thigh fillets
- 300ml buttermilk
- 200gm all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1tbs dried rose petals, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 500ml vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 figs, halved
- 100gm walnuts, toasted
- 75gm goats cheese
- 50gm rocket
- 50ml olive oil
- 30ml balsamic glaze
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk, refrigerated, for 2 -3 hours or overnight.
- Drain off the buttermilk and reserve and dry the chicken well.
- Whisk eggs into the reserved buttermilk.
- Mix together the flour, spices and rose petals.
- Dip each chicken thigh in the flour mixture, then into the buttermilk and back into the flour.
- Fry in hot oil until golden and crisp. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes at 180°C. Season with sea salt flakes.
- Cut each chicken thigh in half and arrange on a platter with the figs, rocket, walnuts and fetta.
- Dress with the olive oil and balsamic glaze.
Pair this delicious dish with wines curated by Tony Cox.