San Choy Bao – Recipe
Pork and Shiitake San Choy Bao
The smooth, slippery texture of shiitake mushrooms create the perfect balance with pork mince and beansprouts served in crunchy lettuce leaves. You can use any mince – chicken, beef, fish, or even crumbled tempeh for a vegan version. Fresh shiitakes are available in most supermarkets, but oyster mushrooms would make a great substitute if you can’t get hold of any.
- 100gm shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
- 50ml sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbs ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 300gm pork mince
- 250gm beansprouts
- 50ml soy sauce
- 50ml ketjap manis
- 2 baby cos or butter lettuce, washed
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges to serve
- Fry the mushrooms in half of the sesame oil until soft and golden.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Fry the garlic, ginger, shallots and chilli in the remaining oil until soft, then add the pork mince and fry until cooked and lightly coloured.
- Add to the mushrooms and mix in the beansprouts, soy sauce and ketjap manis.
- Serve spoonfuls of the pork mixture on the lettuce leaves, garnished with coriander leaves and peanuts