Recipe: Spanish Mackerel Ceviche
Spanish Mackerel Ceviche with Ruby Grapefruit, Radish & Verjus
- 400gm Spanish mackerel fillets, skin removed and sliced thinly across the groin
- 1 golden shallot, finely sliced
- 1 ruby grapefruit, segmented, excess juice reserved
- 4 red radishes, washed and finely sliced into rounds
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs
- 80ml verjus
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp castor sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Whisk together the verjus, vinegar, sugar, salt and the grapefruit juice until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the sliced shallot and leave to stand for five minutes.
Five minutes before serving, odd the mackerel lo the verjus mixture and gently mix ii through. Allow lo “cook” in the liquid for a few minutes, then drain.
Lay the slices of mackerel flat on a serving plotter, and odd the rounds of radish, grapefruit segments and herbs. Drizzle with a little of the verjus mixture and the olive oil, and season with salt and crocked block pepper.