Recipe: Crispy Skinned Salmon, Dutch Cream Potatoes, Smoked Voodoo Bacon, Caperberries and Endives with Roasted Tomato Sauce
Matt Golinski brings salmon to life with a little Voodoo Bacon.
Gluten Free. Serves 4
- 4 x 180gm portions of Atlantic Salmon
- 300gm Dutch cream potatoes
- 100gm Voodoo Bacon, cut into 5mm lardons
- 100gm Bunya Red Caperberries, 12 kept whole and the rest sliced into discs
- 1 cup mixed endives (radicchio, frisee, witlof)
- 15ml red wine vinegar
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 large ripe roma tomatoes, halved
- 2tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 2cm dice. In a small saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well in a colander and while hot toss the potatoes to make them go slightly ‘furry’.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic cloves in a small baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and roast in the oven at 150°C for 30 minutes or until they have lightly coloured and softened. Pass the tomatoes and garlic through a fine sieve and season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy based, oven proof pan, roast the potatoes with the bacon until both are crisp. You’ll need to remove the pan every five minutes and give them a shake so they cook evenly. If there is excess fat from the bacon, drain in a sieve for a minute or two.
- Season the skin side of the salmon portions with salt and fry over medium heat until the skin is crisp.
- Turn and cook gently until the salmon is almost cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to rest in the pan and cook through the rest of the way.
- Whisk together the red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and Dijon mustard and toss with the endives, sliced caperberries, potatoes and bacon.
- Divide the tomato sauce between four bowls and arrange the potato mix on top.
- Sit the salmon on the potatoes and garnish with 3 whole caperberries.
2017 Mount Difficulty Roaring Meg Pinot Gris (Central Otago, NZ) $24-29
2014 Jansz Vintage Rose (Pipers River, TAS) $45-50
2017 Chateau D’Esclans ‘Rock Angel’ (Cotes de Provence, FR) $75-80