Recipe: Spanner Crab Soup
Sweet Potato, Leek & Spanner Crab Soup with Sweet Potato Croutons and Creme Fraiche
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic
• 250gm leeks, washed and diced
• ½ tsp fennel seeds
• 50gm butter
• 500gm white sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 750ml chicken stock
• salt and pepper
• 100ml thickened cream
• 200gm cooked spanner crab meat
• 75ml creme fraiche
• 2tbs fennel sprigs to garnish
• 1 00gm sweet potato, sliced 2mm thick and cut into small squares
• ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
Sweat the onion, garlic, leek and fennel seeds in butter until soft. Add the sweet potato and stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the cream and season with salt and white pepper and puree in a food processor until fine.
Deep fry the sweet potato chips in hot oil until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
Divide the soup between 4 bowls and garnish with the spanner crab meat, small dollops of creme fraiche, sweet potato croutons and fennel tops.