Enjoy these fresh and seasonal recipes perfect for fresh spring days from local food champion and Slow Food Ambassador, Matt Golinski. Discover his favourite local suppliers on the following pages.
The Slow Food Noosa ‘Snail of Approval’ program is a good reference for local champions that adhere to the global guidelines of good, clean and fair food. You can find a list of Snail of Approval recipients and stockists at www.slowfoodnoosa.com
UDON NOODLES WITH MISO BRAISED PORK SHOULDER, WOMBOK AND TAMARI SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- 1.5kg piece skin-on pork shoulder
- 75gm miso
- 200gm dry udon noodles
- 75gm sunflower seeds
- 30ml tamari
- 1tbs ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 cups shredded wombok
- 50ml soy sauce
- 30ml rice vinegar
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Organic sunflower petals to garnish
- Thin the miso with a little bit of hot water and rub all over the underside of the pork shoulder.
- Lay skin side up in a deep baking tray, cover with foil and roast at 140°C for 4 hours, or until the shoulder is soft and falling apart easily.
- Drain off cooking juices and refrigerate until the fat sets and can be removed and discarded. Once cool enough to handle, shred the shoulder meat by hand and refrigerate.
- Cook the noodles in rapidly boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold running water until cool.
- Dry roast the sunflower seeds in a frypan until lightly coloured, remove from the heat and stir in the tamari. Allow to sit in the hot pan to dry out so they go crunchy again.
- In a wok or large frypan, heat the sesame oil, add the ginger, garlic and cabbage and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the pork braising liquid, soy sauce and rice vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Add the shredded pork and noodles and toss through to reheat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the sunflower seeds, sliced shallots and sunflower petals.
2021 Yalumba Samuel’s Collection Eden Valley Viognier, Eden Valley, SA
2022 Brokenwood Pinot Noir, Beechworth, VIC
2017 Mt Difficulty Pipeclay Terrace Pinot Noir, Central Otago, NZ
BEEF SHORT RIBS BRAISED IN TOMATO AND CAPER SAUCE WITH SOFT POLENTA
- 4 beef ribs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 x 400gm tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbs baby capers
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 200ml water
- 200ml milk
- 50gm instant polenta
- 50gm grated parmesan
- Rocket to garnish
- Dry the beef ribs and place in a casserole dish.
- Fry the garlic in the olive oil until fragrant, then add the tomatoes, chicken stock, capers, bay leaves and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the ribs, cover tightly with foil and bake for 3 hours at 150°C.
- Gently remove the ribs to another tray and refrigerate the sauce until the fat has set on top and can be removed and discarded.
- Bring the milk and water to the boil in a small saucepan and whisk in the polenta.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat the ribs and sauce and serve on a generous spoonful of the polenta garnished with rocket leaves.
2021 Running with Bulls Garnacha Barossa Valley, SA
2018 Chene Bleu Scipio GSM Rhone Valley, FR
2019 Chateau de Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape Hommage A Jacques Perrin Rhone Valley, FR
CHICKEN, AVOCADO, RUBY GRAPEFRUIT AND FENNEL SALAD
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 ruby grapefruit, segmented
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced
- ½ cup flat parsley leaves
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Season the chicken breasts and fry in a hot pan until well coloured on both sides.
- Transfer to a roasting tray and bake for 10 minutes at 180°C. Refrigerate until cold.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard and fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the chicken is cool, slice thinly and gently toss with the avocado, grapefruit, fennel, parsley, onion and dressing.
- Divide between 4 plates and drizzle with a little more olive oil before serving.
2022 Redbank La Piazza Fiano King Valley, VIC
2021 Domaine de Ladoucette Sancerre ‘Comte Lafond’ Loire Valley, FR
2021 Domaine Jean Defaix Chablis ‘Les Vaillons’, Chablis, FR